Sep 30, 2020
The incredible work that Gavin Bocquet did with his team to bring worlds like Naboo, Coruscant and Geonosis to life in The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, cannot go unsaid.
This is a really rare interview with someone who made an indelible mark on the saga, as well as things like Young Indiana Jones, Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance and so many more … and I don’t think he’s talked in-depth about Star Wars in nearly a decade.
It was a huge honor and a really great conversation. Some topics discussed:
- His early mentorship with Stuart Craig (Saturn 3, Harry Potter) as well as working of Return of the Jedi with Norman Reynolds, as a Draftsman (Speeder bikes and Greeblies)
- Working with Steven Soderbergh on Kafka, his second ever film
- Walking over to his neighbor's house, Rick McCallum, on Christmas Eve to inquire about working on Young Indiana Jones (later with David Tattersall and Trisha Biggar)
- Of course, the Prequels: collaborating with Doug Chiang and John Knoll, location scouting with McCallum (who wanted to shoot in the Vatican), the Pink / Yellow highlighters
- And wrapping with some serious Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance talk that no Henson fan will want to miss.
It is always so appreciated if you can leave a 5-star review of the show right here on your favorite podcast app, or on Podchaser: podchaser.com/TalkingBay94
Transcripts of previous episodes are starting to become available over at talkingbay94.com, which I hope will serve as a resource.
Thank you all for making September the most-listened-to month we’ve ever had.
And, for October, we have some incredible guests lined up, including Emily Swallow (The Armorer from The Mandalorian), pre-production wizard David Dozoretz, the geniuses at BLIND LTD, and author of the infamous but beloved Glove of Darth Vader series: Paul Davids.